Monday, February 13, 2006

Madam Kwan's @ Mid Valley Megamall



Last weekend, after a failed trip to Kanna Curry House (it was closed for Thaipusam), we ended up at Madam Kwan's. It's been quite a while since I have eaten there and my first time at their Mid Valley Megamall outlet. Madam Kwan originally started out as Sakura Restaurant along Jalan Imbi which was famous for their Nasi Lemak and Curry or Assam Fish Head. I have fond memories of eating there for special family treats as I loved their nasi lemak.

A few years back, they rebranded and opened new outlets under the name of Madam Kwan's which offered old favourites from the Sakura menu plus new ones like the ever famous Nasi Bojari. What stood out with these restaurants were their interior designs as they were all done up in ultra modern contemporary and clean lines design. Suddenly, it was hip and happening again to eat Nasi Lemak. Their first outlet in Bangsar did roaring business among the expatriates and everyone hangs out there. What I love about all their outlets is their speedy gonzales service. Once you order, food is delivered to you pronto. Not only is their kitchen well run, the service within their restaurant is also fantastic as the waitress will be topping up your ice water all the time.



KS had his usual Char Kuay Teow(RM13.30++) which came so fast as it was the first dish to arrive. Didn't manage to ask him whether it was nice but he polished it quite quickly. I did manage to get the low down on the myth regarding BMWs which are reputed to "bring more women" to their drivers. Sadly, he busted the myth as he claims he has not managed to strike lucky with his latest acquisition.


G had the chicken and mushroom rice (RM13.90++) which looks great. He was on hand to deliver wedding invitations so we now have a road trip to savour Ipoh delights early March.


Splashie Boy had the chicken mushroom with noodles (RM12.60++) which he liked. Essentially the same as the rice, it comes with flaked chicken and chinese mushrooms.


I always have either Nasi Bojari or Nasi Lemak here. The Nasi Bojari(RM19++) is huge as it comes with a fried chicken maryland, assam prawns and in my case, curry chicken. Usually it comes with beef rendang but I prefer it with chicken curry which I always replace. I love their assam prawns as they're crunchy and full of flavours. The chicken is nicely fried and juicy while thei curry chicken is nice and creamy with the coconut milk.


Before you leave, don't forget to take their calling card which is in the shape of Madam Kwan's image holding her famous dish. To read more about Madam Kwan and to see her real image, click here for the Goodbites article.

Madam Kwan's Restaurant
F-052, First Floor
Mid Valley Megamall
Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 2297 2297

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: +

12 comments:

Papi said...

Agree with u on their services, real fast and efficient. Food, ok lar.
Love the sago gula melaka dessert.

Flower said...

Never been to Mdm Kwan but I have eaten a few times in Sakura in Amcorp Mall. I used to love the hokkien noodle with mushroom...

Cheng Sim said...

hrm. the food are rather expensive don't you think? can't imagine the grand total from the bill.

SkyJuice said...

I've been to Mdm. Kwan's KLCC a few times. The food was okay, not that great (I've tried the nasi lemak, chicken mushroom rice, char koay teow & sago gula melaka). The service was sometimes fast, wouldn't say it was efficient (they got orders mixed up). I've encountered rude waiters. I stopped going there since the bad experience.

Dragon City said...

wow..they have a nice name card..

boo_licious said...

papi - I really like the nasi bojari esp the assam prawns. Very nice.

flower - I never knew they had hokkien mee. Have fond memories of the one in Jalan Bukit Bintang as we used to go for special occasions.

cheng sim - yeah, food is not cheap here.

skyjuice - poor thing. I can imagine as one bad experience will turn me off too.

dragon city - I love how they lined it up in Mid Valley - so cure.

Mark said...

I been to the KLCC one. I like the way they cook curry with santan.

boo_licious said...

Haven't really eaten their curries as rarely eat rice with dishes but their curry chicken has lots of santan in it.

random food blogger said...

Madam Kwans is too overpriced and not worth it IMHO.

The nasi lemak and nasi bojari seem to be the only good mains there, the other choices are so-so only. Service is not consistent, sometimes good, at other times not so good.

boo_licious said...

forsaken - I usually just eat nasi lemak and nasi bojari only. For me, the service has been fantastic to the point I can call up and order my food ahead to get speedy lunch service.

Judy Ma said...

Worst Higiene ever!!!!I was looking forward to have my gula melaca and found a live cockroach floating in the syrup!!! my Datin mother in law called the supervisor and he sent someone else instead to deal with us, and the only apology I received was..."sorry, sometimes it happens!! and gave me the bill!!!!
that was my first and last time at that restaurant at Mega mall.
For those who do no care about higiene go ahead, or cross the restaurant from your list if you do not want to be sick! who knows what it will show up on your food next time!!! I have never encounted such rude and incompetent customer service ever!!!

XOXO said...

I had a bad service experience Madam Kwan at bangsar. The head waiter was talking a bunch of crap to the other staff very very loudly, just because there were not that many customers.
OMG, his loud voice was so annoying! My boyfriend & I totally lost my appetite & got a migraine instead! Oh and be careful with the Nasi Bojari, the chicken is almost always too dry because its not fresh. Looks like its been kept in the freezer too long. I have vowed never to return again to Madam Kwan. Dont expect me to pay that kindda price for that kind of heart ache.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...