Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Nasi Dagang @ Kemaman Classic Kopitiam, PJ



I spied this brand new kopitiam when I was around the Section 14 area and decided to try it out last weekend since they served Kemaman coffee plus Nasi Dagang from Terengganu. I'm using a replacement camera - the Sony DSC P9 which I am not too happy with as the white balance in this camera is so off that it's not funny. Been playing around with the menu to try and get the best setting ever and till to date, yet to be satisified. Aaargh! I hate this as my camera was perfect everytime I took a shot. With this camera, I have to take a million shots before I am satisfied with it - by then the food is already cold!

On to food, this is not their first outlet, it seems there's one at IOI Mall in Puchong. They mainly serve their famous Kemaman coffee that comes hot, ice or ice blended. I had the Kemaman Kopi with Ice (RM2.30++) which I thought was nothing great. I didn't like how they packaged it - in a plastic cup with the film on top. Kinda waste of good monies and I suspect this is like a poor imitation of the ones in Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf where they always give you the plastic cup if you order ice blended. Splashie Boy had the Honey Lemon (RM4.90++) since he ain't no coffee fan which came with lots of honey to mix with your lemon juice hence the slight brown tinge at the bottom of the glass.


I heard their specialty is Nasi Dagang (RM6.90++) hence I ordered a plate. It's the Terengganu version that comes with white glutinous rice rather than the usual reddish grain from Kelantan. This one came with few pieces of keropok (crackers), vegetable pickles and the fish curry (ikan tongkol in Malay). The Nasi Dagang is not too bad despite the pale appearance of the rice and I quite liked it. Besides the Nasi Dagang, they have noodles, keropok lekor, nasi lemak and etc.

I was beginning to think this place may have potential but then they went and messed up Splashie Boy's order. He ordered a plain dry noodles with fishballs which we saw the lady tick on the order sheet. First it took forever to come and we patiently waited for his food thinking they needed time to cook his noodles versus my Nasi Dagang which was probably all pre-cooked. Then when I asked again for his noodles, the waitress went back to the kitchen and checked. Few minutes later she came back to our table with a bowl of curry noodles which she placed in front of Splashie Boy. By then, he was furious already hence he told her to take it back and cancel his order (he hates curry in all forms hence there was no way he would have eaten it).

I know they messed up terribly but usually one gives them leeway if they are new and etc. but what happened next made me realised they were beyond hope. Since Splashie Boy was too angry to face them at their cash counter (he knew he will start creating a scene there if he saw them), he got me to pay them. I patiently waited there and they printed out the receipt with the curry mee. She realised it had been cancelled and asked me if we cancelled the mee and I said yes. I think there was a glitch in their system that once the food is out, it has to be billed so she had to call another guy from the kitchen to override the system to change the receipt. Now throughout all this, none of them offered me any apology for what happened but pretended that it was perfectly normal that they messed up our order and we cancelled it. That really irked me as it showed bad customer service that the bosses of the kopitiam could not at least offer me an apology for messing up our lunch. Looks like they are obviously not interested in their customers since they couldn't be bothered to appease me.

Have you had similar incidents like this? If you want to share them, drop me a comment.

Kemaman Classic Kopitiam
208, Jalan 14/20
Section 14, Petaling Jaya
(At the shophouses near Jaya supermarket - located at the far end and is underneath the Korean restaurant, Dae Jang Geum)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review

Tagged with: +

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kampungboy fr terengganu says those r nothing like kemamman coffee and tganu nasi dagang although they served glutinious rice n fish curry..maybe its commercialized or repackagaed??but i will drag him to IOI mall to giv it a try when he misses home..

Collecting Moments said...

Gosh, one thing i hate the most is bad service. It can really spoil the whole dining experience.

Paddington pancakes have very bad customer serivce too. Take forever for them to take the order and they messed up my order too. The worker seems like dun wanna work. Very bad attitude.

boo_licious said...

kampungboycitygal - yeah, Kampungboy will be the best person to review since he is from there. Hope the IOI one has better service though.

Honeystar - yeah Paddington in the Curve has hopeless service. Try the one at Hartamas Shopping Centre as it's much better since smaller area.

sbd18 said...

i went there last week and had the same thing as you...have to agree that the rice isn't all that bad but the kemamam coffee sucked...remember it very much better in terengganu...my mate had the white coffee and that was worse...

i also agree on their service...the night i went they weren't even packed but it took forever for the drinks to come...we got it after we finished our dinner...surprisingly the food came about 5 minutes after ordering though...all in all not worth the price and trouble...

I'm Lavin It said...

hi there, on behalf of KCKopitiam,
i would like to apologize to you all out there who had a bad experience in our outlets at sec14 pj. i would like to invite boo_licious (i think the author of this blog) over to our outlet again for dinner. if u would like to come over pls look for Jai the outlet manager :D and say that ur ' boo_licious ' :P ty

I'm Lavin It said...

oh ya not to forget Splashie Boy also :D

Kemaman Kopitiam said...

Please be informed that IOI and Sec. 14 outlets you visited are called Kemaman Classic Kopitiam not Kemaman Kopitiam.
Kemaman Kopitiam has 3 outlets in Kuantan and is opening its KL outlet soon.
We used to supply coffee powder and other products to KCK. We are also not affiliated to KCK.
Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...